Internet Exporer 7.0+
Firefox 3.0 +
Opera 9.0 +
Safari 3.1 +
Chrome 2.0 +
THE HISTORY OF OUR SCHOOL
The history of agricultural training in Tata goes back to the 18th century. Piarist fathers coming from Szenc (today Senec in Slovakia) founded an economic school as the predecessor in title of Eötvös József Comprehensive School. Eszterházy Miklós ran a so-called 'Knights' school' where arable farming and viniculture were also taught.
In 1905 an Economic Public College was opened in Tata where boys of 10-15 studied farming and economy and girls of the same age learnt household studies.
Between the two world wars so-called 'Golden Spiked Farmer' and 'Silver Spiked Farmer' courses were organised.
The predecessor in title of our school was the Winter Economic School from which the Agricultural Technical School and later the secondary vocational (technical) school were formed. The building of the school has served agricultural training since 1944.
In 1950-51 the school opens with the name Animal Husbandry and Agricultural Technical School then on 4th May1963 it was named after Jávorka Sándor in honour of the famous botanist, on a great naming ceremony, and it got the name 'Jávorka Sándor Agricultural Technical School, Tata'.
Regarding the vocational lines the starting school taught animal husbandry where in the first year they taught fundamentals and after finishing that they shared detailed knowledge on animal husbandry and arable farming completed with practical training.
From 1952, in accordance with the decision of the People's Economy Council, the 3-year course was finished with an exam and students got a certificate of technician. Training was expanded to 4 years from 1954-55. The first class at the secondary vocational school started in 1965.
From the early '60s our school also worked as the training-school for the University of Agriculture in Gödöllő, and from the 1970s the Pannon University of Agriculture controlled some of the retraining courses at school.
Because of the reorganization in 1968 the school-farm merged into the State Farm of Tata which caused serious problems to the school as this practical place meant strong basis for training technical skills.
In1968 the school building was enlarged with a Chemistry lab and classroom then with different pens and also with a gymnasium and some flats for teachers.
Until the mid-1970s the school lasted for 4 years and the number of students was 150-160 among them there were about 100 students who lived in the student hostel. The number has doubled since the late 1970s. Beside the full-time course we also had correspondent course for years. Today we help the private farms by providing them modern knowledge.
From 1979 the plant protection line was introduced, and in 1989 in the 5th year training of technicians started for the second time.
In 1986-87, in the first and second years there were already students of animal husbandry and of plant production and protection.
The present form of the students' hostel was gained in 1980 and it works under the control of the school. There have been mixed students there since 1993.
The 'new building' was opened in 1992, where there is a machinery demonstration hall, a computer room and several modern classrooms for adults' courses or farmers' courses. During the same year a routine track for driving was made nearby and the glasshouse has been also used since then.
On the 1st August 2000 our school became one with the Agricultural and Food Technology Vocational School also from Tata. Since 2004 the name of the school is Jávorka Sándor Agricultural and Food Technology Technical and Vocational School and Students' Hostel.
In September 2000 an accredited high level course started which trained agricultural commercial manager assistants supported by the College Faculty of Management and Agriculture of Szent István University in Gyöngyös but this training form stopped in 2005 when the college became individual.
The school does its best to provide more than vocational knowledge. We regularly do so-called money work so that the students can go for school trips in Hungary or sometimes abroad. Our students also take parts in National Vocational Competitions where they often succeed.
List of directors since 1952 until today:
Dr. Szilas Péter